Being a ‘Gary Vee’ addict, I was going through his Instagram where I came across this clip about Tinder (or say Online Dating app).
And it made me think about human behaviour when it comes to swiping right someone on such apps. I consulted two of my close friends who are an avid user of apps like Tinder, Hinge, Bumble, Happn, etc. and asked a few questions to them which helped me to articulate this article. We discussed those people as well who are still in 2010 and judge others for using online dating apps, and they still believe that ‘true love’ or ‘soulmate‘ cannot be found on such apps. (yes, I can see the smirk on your face). Anyway, leaving such people behind (as they are already not accepting technological advancements) let’s discuss perks of online dating and such apps.
- It saves time: Gone are the days when you had to actually get dressed, get a fresh cut and practice your ice breaker 7 times before going out because you wanted to approach a new girl in that nearby cafe or club. Now it is easy, new people, potential singles, are at your fingertips. You don’t have to put makeup on, or get a fresh cut or wear new clothes. You don’t have to get up from your sofa. You both just have to swipe right each other to chat/talk or hookup (later on).
- It eliminates friction: As Gary said in his video above, one of the benefits of technological advancement is that it helps to reduce friction. In the dating scene, there were lots of resistance in the old days. There were no ways to tell the public that you were single or looking for a partner. Now you just have to make a profile, and it automatically becomes an announcement of you being single or available.
- The hookup scene: Let’s get real about hookup culture and scene. Online dating didn’t change anything; it just exposed the nature of human being, i.e. being polygamous. Forget about Bollywood movies and fictional love stories because they were fake. The real stuff is that – sex is a biological need and human beings are fulfilling it more than before through such apps.
- The algorithm rules us: I read somewhere that Tinder knows who is our most potential soulmate because they collect data from both sides. Now, after reading this, an average internet social justice warrior would rage about data being collected and all that cry but imagine how wonderful is that if an algorithm helping us to find our soulmate. Easy and time-saving.
- Suitable for people suffering from social anxiety: If you are one of that person who hates going in the crowd, such apps are boon for you. Imagine talking to your soulmate without being anxious in red flickering lights and 100+ decibel loud music. (I have an article about how to break your social anxiety just in case – Read here)
That’s all. I think these tips are useful enough to give online dating a shot. If you believe there are any more perks, do discuss with me on my DM or in comments.
Also at the same time, you have to be aware of your safety when it comes to online dating – You can read about it here.