Guest: Melvin Chevian – he is a fitness instructor. He is into this job since 5 years, and he himself started lifting 10 years back.
Listen to the podcast here: https://anchor.fm/chirag-barjatya/episodes/How-to-Follow-a-Diet-as-a-College-Student-e6dvg4
Why do college students need fitness and diet?
- College years are active days and days in which the basics of one’s body strength can be built.
- Unhealthy lifestyle is not good at any stage of life.
- If one wants to improve body composition, this is the best time to start.
- Early started is better worked later. You eradicate a lot of health problems in future if you start early.
- When you remain and look fit, it increases your overall confidence level.
- Diet will give you a habit of eating healthy and avoiding junk.
- The parameters of working out/ fitness are: cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, flexibility and ideal body composition.
How should be students starting with fitness and diet?
- Keep activity levels high.
- Avoid unnecessary wastage of money on junk food.
- Maintain decent physique – which can be attained with a basic gym too.
- Avoid extra foods for time pass.
- Maintain a proper lifestyle.
- Maintain a proper schedule.
- Do your body weight analysis and work accordingly.
- Start with fundamentals – compound lifting.
- Don’t be lethargic.
- Prefer morning time for workout.
- Workout for at least 40-60 min daily.
What food should you prefer while dieting or working out?
The following food items are easily available anywhere and are manageable to eat even at hostels. Also, they are affordable for college students.
- Eat more chicken if available at hostel mess.
- Daal is a common source of protein which is a daily item at mess.
- Soya chunks
- Bread – for more carbohydrates
- Fruits like banana, apple are available everywhere
- Nuts and flax seeds can be brought from home, they can be preserved at any temperature for a longer time.
- Green vegetables
- Eggs are the most important source of protein and can easily be boiled.
What supplements can be taken?
- The greatest supplement apart from food is water. One should drink 50ml of water for per kg of his body weight.
- Creatine: it is a very good source for muscle strength. Just keep your water levels high if you take creatine.
- Fish oil: this gives lubrication to your joints. It helps in improving eye and brain health mainly.
- Whey protein
Contact Melvin on: